- USAF & USSF Active Duty/Reserve/Guard, USAF & USSF Government Civilian
- USAF Reserve/Guard (Units must provide man-days)
- Applications due by 9 May 2022
- Pre-start: 20 May 2022 - 20 Jun 2022
- Fellowship dates: 20 Jun 2022 - 1 Nov 2022
- Ability to work virtually - Fellowship is 100% remote
- Be motivated and a self-starter, possess great communication skills, have a passion for innovation, and a desire to create change to further advance the capabilities of the USAF and USSF.
- All AFSCs and career fields accepted
- A month before start of Fellowship will require some mandatory onboarding/familiarization activities
- A Memorandum of Agreement between your organization and AFWERX. *MOA is required once you are selected
- Any TDY required during the Fellowship will be paid for by AFWERX
The Fellowship was created to contribute to the development of innovative airmen/guardians by embedding them into AFWERX. The Fellowship relies heavily on EXPERIENTIAL training, so you will be virtually-tied to one of our teams: AFVentures, Prime, Spark, or SpaceWERX.
During this four-month fellowship you may support a range of projects: MAJCOM outreach, work efforts to incubate, accelerate and transition airmen/guardian ideas, design innovation training or participate in a SBIR/STTR sprint.
The AFWERX Fellowship is one small step in execution of the CSAF’s vision “...to prioritize speed of delivery and foster a culture of courageous problem-solvers.” Join us and share your expertise, as we explore and develop solutions to USAF and USSF challenges.
The division that empowers innovators and accelerates results through programs that connect, develop and support Airmen and Guardian innovators - e.g. base-level Spark Cells, MAJCOM Innovation Cells, Industry Colliders, Internships, Fellowships, Innovation Training, Spark Tank, Spark Incubator and more!
The division that creates simple pathways for commercial innovators and private capital investment to help solve problems for the Department of the Air Force.
The division developing technology marketplaces, helping identify new prime technology sectors in the commercial space, energy, autonomy, analytics and wargaming, supersonics, microelectronics, etc.
Agility Prime is the division expanding technology paths to accelerate emerging dual-use markets by leveraging government resources for rapid and affordable fielding.
The division that inspires and empowers collaboration with innovators to accelerate capabilities and shape our future in space.
It is imperative that you get permission from your Commander to participate. The application will ask you if you talked to your supervisor and you will need to provide their name and contact information and you will be required in the application to state if selected, your supervisor will be required to sign a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).
Defense Ventures Fellowship
Technology can change anything. Even how we protect our country. Immerse in leading technology firms to bring innovative solutions back to the Department of Defense.
This fellowship provides opportunities for the U.S. Armed Services to create impactful solutions for the Department of Defense (DoD) through an immersive educational experience with the private sector. Fellows spend eight weeks developing an understanding of the venture capital and tech startup industry with some of the world’s most advanced companies.
- Employees of the DoD (active duty, guard & reserve, civilian)
- Three years of professional work experience preferred
- Must be available for a full-time commitment to the program (CDR approval required if selected)
- Fellowships will be virtual until in-person is safe.
2022 Important dates
- Session 2 - Session 4
Dates to be released.
Get your seat at the table in the right room. AFVentures Fellowship is a partnership with Shift to deliver an industry immersion program that selects innovative officers, enlisted, and civilians in the midst of their careers to join venture capital and technology companies across the US for eight weeks to bring the latest commercial tech trends and innovation back to the Department of Defense.
The application is open to all employees of the Department of Defense- any rank, any MOC, any service. If you are selected for a program, you will be required to submit an endorsement letter from your commander or supervisor granting you permission to participate in the fellowship during the full time immersion dates specified. If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserve, you will need to be placed on active duty status for the duration of the program. All applicants must have at minimum 18 months from separation to be considered.
Those who meet the criteria below:
Employees of the DoD (active duty, guard & reserve, civilian)
Three years of professional work experience preferred
Must be available for a full-time commitment to the program (CDR approval required if selected)
Fellowships will be virtual until in-person is safe.
● An updated resume
● Your last last two performance appraisals (2020-2021, with any PII masked)
● Completed essay questions (500 words max per question).
● Two References If you are selected, you will need to confirm your participation by requesting additional materials and having your commander or supervisor sign an endorsement verifying your full time participation for the duration of the Fellowship.
For a list of required materials needed for application, click here.